Thursday, July 8, 2010

the body in our mind

The body in our minds,


We have such a image of ourselves in our minds that many of us are not able to relate to our pictures.

When I see a picture of myself particularly taken when I am unaware I feel that it is the image of an impostor, she does not match the image I have of myself in my mind.

To me my picture ought to look like a caricature of an inflated colon. So where has woman emerged from, she looks fairly presentable and people are reacting and responding to her.

More than wondering where this woman emerged from I need to be wondering where did the woman in my mind emerge from?

In her book Body Love Ruth Freedman observes most woman nurture negative images of themselves which is very distant from the reality. While in men it is the visaversa.

The conclusion of her research was

“there is hardly any connection between a woman’s physical attractiveness(as rated by others)and her satisfaction with her body image..feelings of self Worth..there is a strong relationship however between body image and self esteem”

No comments:

Post a Comment